Daniel Lepage on Tue, 26 Apr 2005 00:20:10 -0500 (CDT)

Re: [s-d] How should I go about doing this?

DimShips were something Glotmorf proposed, in one of the first Prose Props ever made. At the time, there were a number of numerical quantities each player had called Dimensions, including Score, Charm, Style, and BAC, to name a few. DimShips were tools where you could fill them up with Score and then use them to shift yourself to other "points" in dimensional space (for example, you could cruise at +50 Score, -10 Charm, +5 Style, +10 BAC; your dimensions would be modified accordingly).

I attempted a scam with them like this: I found a way (I don't remember how, maybe it was actually honest) to get the thousand points needed to win. I then used it to buy 10 DimShips (timing things so that I never actually had all 1000 points at the same time). Then I set all my ships to cruise at +100 points - they cost 100 points apiece, so this put me back up to 1000 points.

The idea of the scam was that although my actual score was zero, the DimShips would give me a "virtual score" of 1000, and so I would Win. Then everybody's scores would be reset to zero; but I'd still have my DimShips and they were unaffected by Wins, so I'd Win again immediately, and this would repeat so that I would gain an infinite number of Wins instantaneously.

The phrasing of the rule governing the way DimShips changed Dimensions said something like "The Dimension is treated as though it were X higher than it actually is". My reading of this was that 10 ships could thus be cumulative, with each seeing my score as being whatever the others had set it to, and then adding 100 to that. Glotmorf's reading was that what "it actually is" is the real value regardless of the effects of *all* DimShips. Everybody argued about it for a while, and then somebody CFI'd (actually, many people did). Rob judged the most important CFI, and determined that in fact DimShips not only stacked with each other, they also stacked with *themselves*. E ruled that "treated as though it were X higher" meant that everywhere it was referenced, it was X higher for all intents and purposes, including for the phrase "than it actually is".

Thus, either any player who was boosting eir Score with a DimShip was shooting their Scores to infinity (in which case everybody was winning simultaneously forever and our Scores were oscillating infinitely quickly between 0 and infinity), or they were all setting their scores to some integer N such that N = N+100. Either way, the scores were all Undefined, which of course required more CFIs to determine what that meant, more to determine who got to Judge the earlier CFIs since nobody knew what the scores were, and yet more to figure out if anybody was allowed to propose a solution to the problem.

Shortly after this we added Rule 0.

As for paying somebody to do this, you might consider making a "Minister of Truth" or some such thing who's responsible for overseeing the production of it, and empower em to reward other players for their contributions.

You can also gather some info by reading the mailing list archives, or using the historical document finder on the old homepage.

--
Wonko