Alex Truelsen on Thu, 21 Apr 2005 21:14:04 -0500 (CDT)

Re: [s-d] Re: [s-b] [auto] BvS submits p11

On 4/21/05, Daniel Lepage <dpl33@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Apr 21, 2005, at 9.11 PM, automailer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>
> > BvS has submitted a new proposal, p11.
> >
> > ---------------------------------
> > Proposal 11/0: Desecration is Fun!
> > A Standard Proposal by BvS
> > Last modified on nweek 86, nday 4
> >
> > Create a new Section to the Ruleset, named "All Things Mystical."
> >
> > Create a new rule in the All Things Mystical section of the ruleset:
> >
> > {{
> > == Fun With Souls ==
> >
> > Souls are Game Objects. Upon joining, all Players are given a Soul. A
> > player may only lose possession of eir Soul or gain possession of
> > another Soul in a manner stated in the rules. A Player who possesses a
> > Soul which is not eir own may be referred to as that Soul's Master.
>
> Why not just refer to the possessor of any Soul as its Master? I would
> like to think I'm the Master of my own Soul, thank you very much.

It was an intentional choice. I like to think that if I have a soul, I'm
more than its master, because it's me.

> Players may possess Lost Souls. A Player who does not have the maximum
> > allowed number of Souls in eir possession may take possession of a
> > Lost Soul by declaring in a public forum which Lost Soul e is taking
> > possession of. Lost Souls in the possession of Players are Found
> > Souls. Found Souls are Game Objects.
>
> Since the objects are now just Souls instead of Lost Souls, you might
> just want to say "Players may posses Souls"; as it's worded now, it
> seems to suggest that when a player claims a Lost Soul, the Soul
> becomes both Lost and Found at the same time.

Mmm. Point. I rewrote half of this partway through to define Souls as a
whole type of object and may have missed an awkward spot or two.

> Found Souls may not take possession of Lost Souls until they have
> > reclaimed possession of their own Soul.
>
> Later on you change it so that Players do not become Lost Souls, it's
> just that their Souls hang around being Lost. So a Soul can't take
> possession of another Soul anyway. Maybe you mean "A player may not
> take possession of a Lost Soul unless e possesses eir own Soul
> already"?

This would be awkward spot number two, then. The trifecta is in play.

> The maximum number of Souls a Player may possess is 2.
>
> Counting eir own?

Trifecta complete.

> }}
> >
> > Amend rule 3-2 to read:
> >
> > {{
> > A Player is an Outsider who consents to be governed by the rules,
> > fulfills all requirements for continued playerhood specified by the
> > rules, and has become a player in a manner specified by the rules.
> >
> > An External Force may become a Player by posting a message to a Public
> > Forum containing a request to become a player and a uniquely
> > identifying name that e wishes to be known by. It may do this if and
> > only if it fulfills the following requirements:
> >
> > * It is capable of passing a Turing Test
> > * Its Soul is Lost, Found, or does not exist
> > * It has a working e-mail address
> >
> > If player whose Soul is a Found Soul rejoins the game, eir Soul does
> > not cease to be Found and remains in the possession of its Master.
> >
> > A Player may cease to be a player by Forfeiting the game; this must be
> > done in a Public Forum unless there are no working public fora, in
> > which case e may notify all players privately instead.
> >
> > No restrictions may be placed on when a player may forfeit; any player
> > may forfeit the game at any time (regardless of the clock, the watch,
> > etc.)
> >
> > When a Player ceases to be a player for any reason, e loses all game
> > defined properties and attributes except for eir Name, and eir Soul
> > becomes a Lost Soul. Lost Souls are game objects. When a Found Soul
> > forfeits, e remains a Found Soul, and their Soul remains in the
> > possession of its Master.
>
> Again you refer to a Found Soul as though it were a player, which I
> don't think it is anymore. Perhaps "When a Player ceases to be a player
> for any reason, every Soul e possessed, including eir own, becomes
> Lost". That covers the Lostness and also accounts for any other Souls e
> may have had.

Number four. Please... no more... I can't take it.

> }}
> >
> > Give every current and former Player of B Nomic listed on the Roster a
> > Soul. Make all Souls of former Players Lost.
>
> You might omit "listed on the Roster". Otherwise I could go tweak the
> Roster right before this passes and destroy your soul for free.

Well, the point was that all current and former players are listed on the
Roster, and I was sure that if I didn't say "on the Roster," some
smart-aleck would make noise about not being sure who counted or something.
(Back for an hour and already I feel the old paranoia returning like a
familiar friend...) Anyway, you're not the Secretary. Is it even legal for
you to mess with the Roster in such a way?