Glotmorf on Mon, 21 Mar 2005 18:13:34 -0600 (CST)

[s-d] Re: [s-b] [auto] Peter submits p2042

On 21 Mar 2005 at 23:39, automailer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Peter has submitted a new proposal, p2042.
>
> ---------------------------------
> Proposal 2042/0: Removal of CFI "Refused" Choice
> A Standard Proposal by Peter
> Last modified on nweek 83, nday 5
>
> [[I don't know if it's a good idea or not, but I'll put it up to a
> vote.]]
>
> Make the following changes to rule 125:
>
> Remove the sentence
> {{
> This poll has an additional voting option of Refused.
> }}
>
> Change the text
> {{
> The voter should vote Refused if the CFI is unclear, nonsensical, or
> irrelevant to the game, or otherwise should not be judged. }} to {{ E
> should also vote No if e believes the CFI is unclear, nonsensical,
> irrelevant to the game, or otherwise should not be judged. }}
>
> Change the text
> {{
> At the conclusion of the CFI's Poll, if there were more Yes votes than
> the sum of No and Refused votes, then the CFI is said to be ruled In
> Favor of the Plaintiff. If there were more No votes than the sum of
> the Yes and Refused votes, the the CFI is said to be ruled Against the
> Plaintiff. Otherwise, the CFI is said to be ruled Refused. }} At the
> conclusion of the CFI's Poll, if there were more Yes votes than No
> votes, then the CFI is said to be ruled In Favor of the Plaintiff.
> Otherwise, the the CFI is said to be ruled Against the Plaintiff. }}
>
> If it exists, remove the text
> {{
> If the CFI is not ruled Refused, then the Plaintiff gains 1 BW.
> }}

I disagree with this.  There's a difference between REFUSED
and NO: REFUSED doesn't become part of game precedent.  That a
given CFI gets a NO ruling is as much a rules
clarification/refinement/interpretation as if it gets a YES
ruling.  But sometimes a CFI doesn't need any sort of ruling
as much as it needs to just go away.

Just ask Rob.

-- Glotmorf

-----
The Ivory Mini-Tower: a blog study in Social Technology.
http://www.nomic.net/~dwhytock/imt