Jake Eakle on Wed, 2 Mar 2005 23:13:00 -0600 (CST)

Re: [s-d] Re: [s-b] [auto] Glotmorf votes

>>> Proposal 2021/0: Fixing Cinquains                         : Shelve
>>> It's not necessary to change the definition of a Cinquain, since the
>>> original text says the pattern can be repeated.  It's sufficient to
>>> say that the form bonus is multiplied by the number of times the
>>> pattern is used.  Much simpler, and the same text can then be
>>> applied to limericks.
>>>
>>> But then, is a longer Cinquain necessarily a better Cinquain?
>>>
>> I think people are missing the point here. The extra bonus for longer
>> ones was a small addition on the side. The main point of this is that
>> the original rule said it had to be exactly five lines, _and_ that it
>> could be repeated, which was a contradiciton. And really, 3x (or
>> whatever I wrote, if that's not it) is not a lot of points. No one's
>> gonna be writing a twenty-verse Cinquain prop that will just get voted
>> down when they could be looking for loopholes to exploit. In fact,
>> most likely no one is going to be writing any Cinquains at all, ever
>> (have any Cinquain props ever passed? If so, how many?), but it's just
>> nicer if the ruleset doesn't have contradictions in it.
>
> It's not a contradiction.  That it has to be five lines in length is part of
> the pattern that
> can be repeated (including, presumably, a title; that allows for subsection
> headers).
> So the status quo for the cinquain pattern is simpler and non-contradictory.
> And I
> don't think you want a "nicer" ruleset badly enough for someone to rewrite the
> whole
> thing using symbolic logic to enforce a lack of contradictions.  That wouldn't
> be nice.

Well, yes, it should work that way. But i believe what it says (way too much
homework to actually go check...) is that the 'prop' must be five lines
long. Unless you think each verse should be in it's own prop, but still be
scored as one, I'd say that's a least a minor contradiction. Perhaps I got
carried away with the fixing of it, but I don't think it's going to do any
long term harm, and who knows, maybe it will stave of an unnecessary CFI at
some point in the future.

> And you really, REALLY shouldn't say things like "No one's gonna be writing a
> twenty-verse Cinquain prop" unless you want to start seeing them.  Really.

All right, I hereby publicly give my word that if anyone writes a Cinquain
prop of twenty or more coherent, nonrepetetive verses, I will vote for it
regardless of content. If that's enough incentive for you to spend an
afternoon on it, be my guest, though I rather doubt that my peers will have
as much sympathy for giving you sixty-five points for it as I will.

> -- Glotmorf

--Personman