Joel Uckelman on Wed, 2 Feb 2005 15:02:14 -0600 (CST)

Re: [s-d] Wiki Spam

Thus spake pete+bnomic@xxxxxxxxxxxxx:
> The amount of Wiki spam has been increasing. Can we add ACLs, to at
> the very least require registration before editing? (I've started to
> learn MoinMoin's ACL system if whoever's running it needs help.)

<plug type="shameless">
I've started doing PhpWiki development again. When I upgraded the
Nomic Wiki to the current version, wiki spam went from endemic to near
zero overnight. The key thing for the Nomic Wiki was prohibiting edits
that add more than n external links, with n small enough to thwart
spam bots and large enough not to annoy real users. PhpWiki now does
that by default.
</plug>