Jeremy Cook on Tue, 26 Oct 2004 23:17:50 -0500 (CDT)

[s-d] more CFI discussion

All right, Wonko, I see where you're coming from. In the Champagne
situation, we couldn't drink each other's champagne because of r636, and
we couldn't drink nonexistant champagne, but if there were a glass of
champagne that belonged to no player, anyone could have drunk it.

So in "Any player may lay down a set of three or more cards in sequence
for the following..." I couldn't lay down your cards, but I can lay down
cards in the Deck.

It is undefined what happens to cards that have been laid down.
Araltaln's ruling says that cards that have been "laid down" [lowercase]
cannot be "laid down" [lowercase] again until they have been "picked up"
[lowercase], an action you can't perform right now.

If the words "lay down" were uppercase, you'd be right in saying you
could lay your cards down more than once. But
lowercase words have a meaning rooted in English. Unfortunately, in this
case that meaning is ambiguous. It is possible that they are no longer
in your Hand, and it is possible that they are no longer in your
possession. But there is no clear location defined for the cards.

I now once again cite r1727.B:

B. The Deck
The Deck is a collection of cards; if a card's location is not defined,
it is moved to the Deck.
When a player Draws a card, this means a card is chosen at random from
the Deck an put in that player's hand.
When a card is discarded, it is moved into the Deck.

This wouldn't make sense if a Hand and the Deck weren't locations. If my
Hand isn't a location, then no Card in it has a defined location, and so
they should all go to the Deck, but that's not the case.

Your last point is that by the Judge's ruling, the cards can't be moved
to the Deck, because moving a Card to the deck implicitly "picks it up"
[lowercase]. But if that's the case, then it is legal for a card to be
picked up; that rule specifies how.

If you maintain that there is any possibility at all that your Cards may
have changed location, their location isn't defined. Araltaln's ruling
indicates such a possibility. Thus the cards are now legally picked up
under r1727.B, and they go to the Deck.

But since, as noted above, you can lay down Cards in the Deck, you could
lay them down again, contradicting the CFI ruling. I now have no idea
what's going on; it appears that eir Ruling created a contradiction.

Zarpint