Jeremy Cook on Sun, 3 Oct 2004 19:58:28 -0500 (CDT)

Re: [s-d] Re: [s-b] [auto] PlayerPersonman submits p1912/0

On Sun, Oct 03, 2004 at 05:36:12PM -0700, Jake Eakle wrote:

> > You won't actually get any bonus points for your proposal as it stands.
> > The restrictions laid out by Limerick form and Void form apply to the
> > entire prop; having a rule within the prop that conforms doesn't
> > suffice. In your prop, the line 'Add section A.6 to rule 437:' contains
> > an 'e' and doesn't fit in any limerick, so you don't meet the
> > requirements for either form.
> >
> > As for the Form Creation Bonus, I wonder if we should do away with it
> > entirely. It's not too hard to propose a rule in a poetic form, but it
> > is hard to do it well (consider how ugly the Song Form and Void Form
> > sections are). Because of this, most Poetic props do not create rules
> > or make large changes to them,  and I don't think we should be
> > encouraging the creation of props that do.

I like the bonus.
I'd say keep it, but we should actively vote against bad poetry.
"Vote against bad poetry" would make a good bumper sticker, actually.

> If this is true, did the haiku and song props not get their authors any
> points? Neither one contains the Add a section text within the actual poetry
> bit... Somehow, i kinda think the clauses in each of the forms that exclude
> the name and comments also exclude such introductory text. I'm not sure of
> the necessity of the Add a rule, Add a section, Modify rule X, etc. text
> under the current rules, but if it is necessary then no one could ever get
> any points for a poem form without devoting most of it to this text, and if
> it's not it would be trivial for me to simply remove it, and more efficient
> to ignore it for poetry purposes...

Well, the SOL covers those cases, but the rule is clear: comments and
the title don't have to be excluded, but "Add a section" is part of the
actual text of the prop. It's not just a throwaway.

> > It took me awhile to figure out where this '200 points' figure was
> > coming from :) I guess it never occurred to me to read it that way.
> >
> > The intent here was to give not "10 score" points, but 10 "score
> > points"; the word 'score' indicates that these are score points, as
> > opposed to points of bandwidth, Respect points, points of Entropy, or
> > any of the dozens of things that could have been called 'points'
> > throughout this game's history.
> >

> Perhaps the quotes should be added for clarity?

I never thought of that either, but if you prop it, I'd prefer a hyphen.

> > Even with your explanation, I still don't understand the meaning of
> > 'six among six'.
>
> Six among six = six distributed among six people = six divided by six:
>
> 30 + (6 / 6) = 31 syllables.

Granted that saying "31" in three dis-Eased anapests that rhyme with
"sticks" is not easy to do, no one would have any idea what that meant
on first reading it. Also, you don't say "syllables", so it could be
words, lines, paragraphs, or letters just as well. You also don't say
"points".

Zarpint, who will soon emerge from under eir rock.