Araltaln on Thu, 1 Jul 2004 11:05:03 -0500 (CDT)

Re: [spoon-discuss] Re: [Spoon-business] another CFI, "-2"

Glotmorf wrote:

Tsk. We just had a relatively recent CFI that said recognition and the need for same is defined by precedent. Granted that's not explicit, but the justification for that CFI cited the instances in the rules where recognition was defined. That, taken together with the default case, regulates recognition.

So, les'n you want to bribe a judge (which *ahem* there's game precedent for...), this ain't gonna fly.

						Glotmorf

While you can certainly establish what an action is by precedent ("At some level, we need to use English words that haven't been officially defined lest we be unable to define anything." --Zarpint), I have a hard time believing you can establish a Rule merely on precedent.

Rule 11/4 states both "A Rulebook is a collection of Rules." and "The Ruleset is a Rulebook", and 18/3 states "Whatever is not prohibited or regulated by the Ruleset is permitted and unregulated." Precedent may attempt to regulate it, but that's not a method outlined in the Ruleset to change Rules.

There's no (well, very little) room for unwritten Rules in Nomic, as far as I can tell.

--Araltaln