Daniel Lepage on Wed, 7 Apr 2004 22:22:46 -0500 (CDT)

[spoon-discuss] Voting Deadline

To everyone confused by voting deadlines:

The ballot was issued at 8:46 PM EST time on April 7th. This marks the beginning of nday 7 of this nweek. Nday 7 will end at the next 00:00:00 UTC, which I believe is seven o'clock on April 8th, EST. It then follows that nday 8 ends on the 9th, nday 9 on the 10th, and the nweek on the 11th.

Thus,
*****
The deadline for voting this nweek is 7:00 PM EST on April 11th.
*****

**Note**:
Daylight savings time messes with my head. To be absolutely safe, submit your votes before 6 PM EST on the 11th, or figure out the deadline yourself. If you do the latter, please let me know the answer, so I can correct this in future notices.

Oddities about the Clock

Note that the length of nday seven depends heavily on when Dave submits the ballot - had he submitted it five minutes before midnight UTC, nday seven would have been only 5 minutes long. This is a defect in the Clock, which was not originally meant to be turned on and off in the middle of ndays; I also suspect that this is why people tend to get confused about the length of the voting period.

One possible fix would be a clause that states that when the Clock is supposed to be turned On, but it's after noon UTC, the turnon is delayed until just after midnight, so that every nday is at least 12 hours long. Any thoughts?

--
Wonko