Baron von Skippy on 30 Jan 2004 23:09:44 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Re: [Spoon-business] NWEEK 56 RESULTS

>>> Proposal 1770/0 (Once More, With Less Suckage) (Baron von Skippy):
>>> AFF: Baron von Skippy x2, bd, Mikie The Inscrutable, The Pusher
>>> Robot, Zarpint
>>> NEG: Glotmorf, Sagitta, SkArcher x3, Teucer, Wonko
>>> Counts (Y/N/A/S) : (6-6-0-0). Measure fails. Baron von Skippy loses 3
>>> points.
>>>
>> -Two things. The first is one of SkArcher's "NO" votes. The other is
>> his other one. There were only two - one of them was shuffled off to
>> proposal 1757.-
>
>Good point. I hereby use the Balefire Rod to produce Balefire; I use
>the Balefire on vSET (note that the prop says nothing about needing to
>possess the Rod in order to use it).
>
>Thus, vSET ceased to exist at the beginning of the nweek 56 Voting
>Period. Which means it still doesn't exist now. So I can't have
>targeted it with Balefire, 'cause it's not there to be targeted.
>
>Which means I didn't destroy it, and it's still here, so it's not.
>
>I can't see any good reason why this won't constitute "the existence of
>a paradoxical condition that cannot be resolved under the current set
>of rules.", which is an emergency under rule 0 ;)
>
>Of course, since Dave misdid this vote, e hasn't published the correct
>voting results yet... so there's still time for em to veto it.

-*thpoken as though with a thtrong lithp* Not a chance. It did too exist - when you targeted it. From every reference point after that moment, however, it no longer existed in the gamestate. (To paraphrase the literature, the thread is burned from the Patter before the balefire is used, but those who were in the immediate area will still have memories of the object targeted.) Perhaps this is yet unclear. A timeline, maybe?

0 seconds: vSET exists.
4 seconds: When Wonko thinks back 4 seconds, he remembers that vSET existed then. He decides to change this.
5 seconds: Wonko Balefires vSET. vSET ceases to exist 5 seconds previously.
6 seconds: When Wonko thinks back 6 seconds, he remembers that vSET existed then, and that he rectified this. When Glotmorf thinks back 6 seconds, he remembers that vSET did not exist then.
37 seconds: The Baron realizes that vSET has been gone for a while and gets confused. But we're used to that.

Does this help any?-

[[BvS]]