Baron von Skippy on 29 Jan 2004 16:12:00 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Re: [Spoon-business] Improving the game

>> If the sentence is evaluated at all, and I don't see why it would be
>> because it's just a text string, it should be evaluated in a single
>> instant, not piecemeal like C. But it's not like the rules are not
>> unresolvably contradictory as things are now, so why not?
>
>I dunno... I think there's a pretty big difference between "silliness
>that benefits the game" and "silliness that's stupid". I see no way in
>which the game will profit from the inclusion of this contradiction; it
>doesn't seem particularly likely that it will affect anything, in fact,
>but it certainly can't do anything good, though I can see how it could
>be interpreted to do bad things. Thus, I would classify this as
>"silliness that's stupid".

-A few things to consider. One, this is raising all kinds of discussion which I'm having a lot of fun reading. I call that a benefit, at least from where I'm sitting. Two, merchandising potential. Three... you know, it's not /your/ prop bandwidth being used up here. There's a difference between "silliness that's stupid and harmless" and "silliness that's stupid and threatens the game." At worst, this is stupid and harmless. This game could use an infusion of stupid, I think, especially because we keep repealing all the "silliness that benefits the game" when it begins to damage the game.-

>Incidentally, "the laws of all nations are repealed" and "B Nomic is a
>sovereign nation" strike me as stupid silliness too - taken together
>they could be interpreted to erase the entirety of the game, or they
>could be interpreted to have no effect but to make us look kind of
>childish, and either way it's dumb.

-B Nomic is better than the laws of all nations.-

[[BvS]]