Daniel Lepage on 29 Jan 2004 15:18:27 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Re: [Spoon-business] Improving the game

On Jan 29, 2004, at 9:42 AM, Zarpint Jeremy Cook wrote:

If the sentence is evaluated at all, and I don't see why it would be
because it's just a text string, it should be evaluated in a single
instant, not piecemeal like C. But it's not like the rules are not
unresolvably contradictory as things are now, so why not?

I dunno... I think there's a pretty big difference between "silliness that benefits the game" and "silliness that's stupid". I see no way in which the game will profit from the inclusion of this contradiction; it doesn't seem particularly likely that it will affect anything, in fact, but it certainly can't do anything good, though I can see how it could be interpreted to do bad things. Thus, I would classify this as "silliness that's stupid".

Incidentally, "the laws of all nations are repealed" and "B Nomic is a sovereign nation" strike me as stupid silliness too - taken together they could be interpreted to erase the entirety of the game, or they could be interpreted to have no effect but to make us look kind of childish, and either way it's dumb.

--
Wonko
Award Wonko a Win.