SkArcher on 27 Jan 2004 22:49:04 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Re: [Spoon-business] CFIs

<SNIP a bunch of CFI-related stuff>

R10 seems to be the thing that makes the game platonic (as opposed to pragmatic). In a platonic game, such as chess, illegal actions are considered never to have occurred - if you try to jump your pawn from E2 to F6, your opponent just says "you can't do that", the pawn gets put back, and the game continues as if it had never even been tried.

In a pragmatic game, such as soccer, illegal actions can happen, and penalties are provided for performing them - the rules say you can't touch the ball with your hands or tackle other players, but they lack the power to actually stop you from doing it; rather, provisions are made by which the other team will profit if you do.

R10 forces this game to be platonic, by declaring that all players *must* obey all rules; this implies that it is impossible to break a rule.

This is why objects such as the Cursed Sushi cannot work - any rule governing what one posts to the public forum must by necessity be pragmatic, as the rules lack the power to stop me from posting unsushified text to the forum. Likewise, society charters that attempt to restrict game actions must be pragmatic, as a society charter cannot actually stop me from, say, making a proposal; but it can punish me by expelling me from the society.

Perhaps the terms Platonic and Pragmatic should be enshrined in the ruleset, and we can specify which is which, so that we _can_ have rules like the sushi (and the scarf, for that matter)

SkArcher