Daniel Lepage on 27 Jan 2004 17:01:24 -0000

[spoon-discuss] Re: [Spoon-business] NWEEK 56 BALLOT (Corrected)

On Jan 27, 2004, at 12:49 AM, Glotmorf wrote:

Proposal 1762/0: Standardized Elections (Wonko)

Shelve.  Not thrilled by the Borda Count for a couple reasons:

1. There should be a tiebreaking method other than random
selection.  Presumably we wouldn't be having an election if we
didn't care about the choice.  Perhaps a second election round
with the reduced Choice Pool...?

The Choice Pool will be reduce until one player wins; if nobody does, it means that two players have tied, 50-50. In this case, revoting shouldn't affect the outcome - each player should still have about 50% of the vote. Thus, the election should tie again. At this point, we might as well pick one of the two at random - half the game will be happy.

The reason I don't want to add another round is because I'd like elections to be restricted to a set period of time. In some cases, such as the Council of Elders, it is important that the election finish at the same time that one Councilor's term expires. Having more rounds increases the election time by an amount that cannot necessarily be determined.

Perhaps a variety of tie-breaker mechanisms could be implemented? So you might specify that you want an election using the Borda Count with a Random tiebreaker, or using IRV with an Extra-Round tiebreaker, etc.

2. The way it's worded right now, if I don't list all possible
choices, I haven't officially voted.  If I only care about one
of the possible choices, I don't particularly want to think
about the order of the others.  I therefore think it should be
an option to list some subset of the possible choices.

I thought about that, but never got around to coming up with a good system for awarding approval points based on that.

WRT r1639: "We broke this in record time I think." No, the
breakage record is either for Wonko's Garbage Can scam or my
Glotmorf Rules! scam.  Though I think I win because I
predicted mine ahead of time...

I thought DimShips went pretty quickly... I've never been fully convinced that Glotmorf Rules! was actually justified.

WRT r1637: Actually, this should have been repealed as soon as
it was implemented, by its own authority.

I think we decided that it didn't, on the grounds that rules are laws. Otherwise we have no ruleset, and I'm gonna go home.

--
Wonko
Award Wonko a Win.