Daniel Lepage on 30 Dec 2003 05:27:02 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Grid Axes - Possible Problem

On Friday, December 26, 2003, at 02:45 PM, SkArcher wrote:

It occurs to me that the easiest way of representing the Grid is going to be having it Wiki based. Problem occurs that when using numbers in plain text causes the columns to go out of line or the whole grid to be ugly and elongated. Replacing Letters solves this, but rules would need to be tweaked to deal with this

http://torg.mit.edu/bnomic/index.php/The%20Grid

If the new Grid is anything like the old Grid, this won't work at all. Your scheme allows one character per square (two if we feel ambitious); the Grid of yore had squares like:

+------------------------------+
|Mud                           |
|Wonko's Speeder               |
|Wonko (On Speeder)            |
|Fire Gnome                    |
|Elbonian Airways              |
|Ancient Monolith (10 Entropy) |
+------------------------------+

How can that possibly fit into your representation?

There is a system for creating tables; the definition table structure would be absurd for this, but the Grid could be created something like this:

<?plugin OldStyleTable
|*|1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10
|1|.|.|.|.|.|.|.|.|.|.
|2|.|.|.|.|.|.|.|.|.|.
|3|.|.|.|.|.|.|.|.|.|.
|4|.|.|.|.|.|.|.|.|.|.
|5|.|.|.|Wonko's Speeder|.|.|.|.|.|.
|6|.|.|.|.|.|.|.|.|.|.
|7|.|.|.|.|.|.|.|.|.|.
?>

This does not, however, support multi-line cells, and it'd be ugly as all hell to edit anyway.

I suspect our best option would be to write a script to handle it. That's one of the reasons I wanted to restrict things to one unit per player - it's easier to track with a program if the only changes that aren't completely automated are based around single entities.

A lot of things on the old grid could have been done with no ministerial aid - for example, the Weather and the periodic random Gnome Gains of vSOI members.

Perhaps the best thing would be to set up a public Grid Information thing, or at least one that many people can be given access to, so that, for example, a Minister of Weather could write a script that, when told that a new nweek had begun, would look up the current state of the Grid, grab some random numbers, and change the database to show the right locations of things.

--
Wonko