SkArcher on 29 Dec 2003 11:05:04 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Materiel

On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 21:23:00 -0600, Baron von Skippy <bvs@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Mr. in a Spacesuit had an interesting idea in terms of having more than one type of resource unit, but tried to develop it in far too arbitrary a fashion. Might I suggest
something more similar to that used in Star Wars Galaxies?

<snip>

-I like your idea, but I worry about the distressing trend toward pre-planning that I'm seeing in this game. The seat of /my/ pants still have wings, what happened to the rest of you? Be that as it may, this seems like a good idea, and one that can be used with my old idea to allow people to make Stuff from a list of components - this organizes those components nicely. So... yeah, I'm game for it. One question, though: Say we have Inorganics->Metals->Iron,Gold,Copper,Lead,Silver,Zinc,Aluminium,etc... and I want to throw in another layer, say Metals->Valuable, and stick Gold and Silver into it - how is that done, especially if Gold and Silver have lower-level materials beneath them?-

So...what should the first top-level categories be?  Matter and Energy?

-I suppose so, although Organic/Inorganic might be better unless someone thinks we really might need just "Matter" as a component (maybe in a Mr. Fusion reactor, I don't know).-

To be honest with you I don't think seperate matieriels is a good idea, it is going to lead to too much book keeping.

If you do insist on developing seperate resource above and beyond standard RUs, may I remind you that you don't have to be bound by real world physics. For all the difference it makes you could call the minerals Baronium, Glotmorfogen and Administratum

After all, this is the Grid we are dealing with...

SkArcher