Zarpint Jeremy Cook on 29 Dec 2003 04:55:10 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Materiel

Yeah. Rather than Keywords, they could be Bits corresponding to the
properties, with some bit values dependent on others. And then we could
have various Transmutation options, like "switch bit 3 and bit 5".

On Sun, 28 Dec 2003, Glotmorf wrote:

> On 28 Dec 2003 at 21:23, Baron von Skippy wrote:
>
> >One question, though: Say we have Inorganics->Metals-
> >Iron,Gold,Copper,Lead,Silver,Zinc,Aluminium,etc... and I want
> >to throw in another layer, say Metals->Valuable, and stick Gold and
> >Silver into it - how is that done, especially if Gold and
> >Silver have lower-level materials beneath them?
>
> Well, first off I'd suggest not using "Valuable" as a
> category, since what's valuable to you might not be valuable
> to me. :)  Aside from that, I'd say categories should
> correspond to some property that some materials have that
> other materials don't, and have the materials that don't be in
> a separate category at the same level -- rare and common,
> conducting and non-conducting, etc.  Or alternately just add
> conductivity, rarity, etc. as properties that don't
> necessarily categorize.  It isn't absolutely necessary to have
> a category, unless someone is planning to do something in
> particular with things that would fall under that category and
> there may be other things that would be added to the category.
>
> Now, if you're planning on having bunches of materials that
> have overlapping properties, there should either be properties
> that are attached to some and not to others (dare we say
> keywords?) and possibly no top-level categorization method at
> all...but then, how would we do subcategories?  Only things
> with certain keywords can get other certain keywords?
>
> 						Glotmorf
>
> -----
> The Ivory Mini-Tower: a blog study in Social Technology.
> http://ix.1sound.com/ivoryminitower

Zarpint            "All thy toiling only breeds new dreams, new dreams;
Jeremy Cook         there is no truth saving in thine own heart."
mcfoufou@xxxxxxxxx       --W.B. Yeats, The Song of the Happy Shepherd
grep -r kibo /     "Movements are the problem, not the answer to problems."