Daniel Lepage on 25 Dec 2003 21:09:41 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Robot Chess

On Thursday, December 25, 2003, at 11:36 AM, SkArcher wrote:

On Thu, 25 Dec 2003 11:31:56 -0500, Zarpint Jeremy Cook <mcfoufou@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

No, it was a reply to me--did you not get the post on grid ideas that ended
like that? Who else would talk about 11-dimensional space? :)

And if you can even imagine picturing 11-dimensional space, you're a much
better Nomic player than anyone else on Earth...

Zarpint

I used to play 4 dimensional noughts and crosses (I think you lot in the US call it tic-tac-toe ?) years ago in school, and I seem to remember we eventually expanded it to 5D, but it is actually a little too easy in a one on one situation - the player who moves first almost always wins.

I toyed with this for a while with some friends, way back in high school; we reached the conclusion that in order for an n-dimensional game to be playable, the length of each side of the board had to be n+1 - the first player can guarantee a win if the board is 2x2, 3x3x3, 4x4x4x4, or 5x5x5x5; but not in the case of 3x3, 4x4x4, 5x5x5x5, or 6x6x6x6x6.

We built a hyperbolic board, too, but I don't know what happened to it...

This 11 by 11 situation would have me treating loacation as a digital sequence where only 1 bit can be altered in a single operation. I wouldn't even attempt to think of it in terms of actual terrain.

That's what I was thinking; I never really got the hang even of 5 dimensional visualization, much less anything higher.

--
Wonko