Zarpint Jeremy Cook on 25 Dec 2003 04:22:22 -0000

[spoon-discuss] Robot Chess

So I would have to join with SkArcher here--I wouldn't really like people
adding rules like

{
When a Robot enters a square, if a 1d20 roll comes up 1, a Magic Annihilator
Mark IV appears on the square. The Magic Annihilator Mark IV defeats the
previous three Annihilators in combat with robots and ....
}

I think the best situation is to have a few simple instructions that
need to be programmed in advance for moving the Bots on a sealed Grid.
And if the Grid is sealed, there is little point in adding X Shiny Things,
since they'll all be used up.

I would prefer not to have probablistic findings of objects, especially if
they're magically generated. And leaving that out, the only point of
the Robots would be to destroy each other.

It would be like Toroidal Chess. What if each player had several Robots, or
if the Robots could split or reproduce? Then you could have a whole army
of Knights, Pawns, or whatever.

Say your robot had a "Piece Type" attribute that could be 1, 2, or 3.
And the robot could split into X and Y where
Piece_type(X)+Piece_type(Y)==Piece_type(Original_bot)
Type 2 could move like a Knight, say, and 3 like something else.
And Robots gain Piece Type after some number of nweeks, or they have to capture
a robot to gain it.

Just ideas--and hey, we could make the game N-dimensional, where N is very
large. We haven't had an 11-dimensional grid yet, have we?
Somehow 11-dimensional Toroidal Chess Diplomacy really appeals to me :)

Zarpint

On Wed, 24 Dec 2003, Baron von Skippy wrote:

> >> Also, I think some things shouldn't be buildable. For example we might
> >> want artifacts that can be found, but that we no longer have the means
> >> to create (like the Improbability Drive on the Baron's old speeder).
> >>

> >I've got to disagree. I'd much prefer to have the grid like a glass box,
> >where the players can only indirectly affect the action inside, and the
> >inhabitants (the robots) have to evolve and build everything inside
> >themselves. It would be different than the old grid, and a little more
> >entertaining.
> >
> -Allow me to disagree with your disagreement, probably in a way incompatible with everyone's views. The 'bots are on the Grid, yes? Well, I'm almost certain that there weren't a dozen robots on the Grid when it got nuked, so clearly those 'bots were placed there by us. Therefore, we should be able to send other things in. Maybe not a lot of things - after all, there's got to be some sort of background radiation/entropy/both going on that makes it difficult to get there. Also, I very much like the idea of finding the ruins of the old Grid here and there. Say, the old S.S. Improbable, now a burnt-out wreck whose munitions store was scattered when a missile landed almost on top of it. Note what those munitions were - now think about what happens when someone finds a cache of Whoopass just sort of lying around. I'll give you a hint: It begins with a "F" and rhymes with "oomp."
>
> Any thoughts on this? Maybe I'll get to read them in a few days...-
>
> [[BvS]]

Zarpint            "All thy toiling only breeds new dreams, new dreams;
Jeremy Cook         there is no truth saving in thine own heart."
mcfoufou@xxxxxxxxx       --W.B. Yeats, The Song of the Happy Shepherd
grep -r kibo /     "Movements are the problem, not the answer to problems."