Glotmorf on 29 Nov 2003 08:29:47 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Re: [Spoon-business] New card: Nop

On 28 Nov 2003 at 12:17, Daniel Lepage wrote:

> On Thursday, November 27, 2003, at 10:43 PM, Glotmorf wrote:
>
> > {{ _Nop_
> >
> > Body: If you hold one or more Nop cards, you can only have twice the
> > number of
> > cards in your hand as you have Nop cards.  Upon receipt of a Nop card,
> > if you have more than this maximum, you must discard down to the
> > maximum before you can take any other card-related action.
>
> What stops me from making my first discarded card be the Nop card?

As it's written now, nothing, I suppose, though one might
reason that the maximum is calculated first and the resulting
number of cards in the hand has to fit the maximum, even if
the resulting hand no longer includes the Nop card.  Note that
this should only happen the first time you get a Nop card;
after that, your hand is already under the maximum, even if
you receive another Nop card.

> Also, what constitutes a card related action? If somebody plays a card
> that requires me to draw a card, for example, what happens? According
> to their card, I must draw; according to mine, I cannot.

The text reads, "upon receipt of a Nop card"; that means
you're acting in immediate response to the Nop card.  If you
get the Nop card because you're forced to draw, I would
interpret the situation to mean you'd stop long enough to
discard down to two cards, then draw more cards if still
required.  If you were somehow forced to have more cards than
the Nop-count maximum, you'd have to discard cards to come
down to the maximum.

If you're asking whether a card that forces drawing takes
precedence over the Nop card, I'd guess the B Nomic precedence
rule kicks in, such that cards added after the Nop defer to
the Nop unless they explicitly claim precedence.

The way I see it, with the current text a Nop causes one of
two things to happen: if the target's hand is very large, it
becomes two cards, one of which may be a Nop; if the target's
hand is empty or a single card, the Nop sticks.  While my
original intention was to have the Nop always stick, I find
this relatively workable; however, I can add a rider proposal
to see how people feel...

						Glotmorf
-----
The Ivory Mini-Tower: a blog study in Social Technology.
http://ix.1sound.com/ivoryminitower