Baron von Skippy on 28 Nov 2003 19:07:51 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Prop 1711 -- Legislosity

>> >- If the former, what stops players from conspiring to generate a
>> >shitload of bugs and tweaks to make themselves rich?
>>
>> -Well, nothing, other than the Moderator noticing and deciding not to
>> recognize the bugs and tweaks any more. I suppose that's not a very
>> strong check. I'm not seeing any easy fix here, except to impose a
>> limit on bugs/tweaks per checkpoint, and a way to /lose/ LPs... ah,
>> there we go. Each LP has to come from someone. If you left a hole, you
>> lose an LP (minimum of zero). That way there's not really any easy way
>> (esp. combined with a limit on tweaks per checkpoint) to make an
>> assload of points with someone else. Okay, I'll fix that later
>> tonight.-
>
>Let me rephrase, with an example:
>
>Purpose: Create a method by which cinquains can be generated from a fixed set of
>words, possibly derived from a particular literary work.
>
>Text: Foos can be barred.
>
>One might suggest that the text has bugs, with relation to the purpose, in that it's
>possible to, say, bar a foo and yet still fail to achieve the purpose.
>
>One might therefore propose a fix to this, such as "Foos can be barred, and bars can
>be fooed."  It could be argued that this takes the text further toward accomplishing
>the purpose...but it still has room for improvement.
>
>In fact, you can do a zillion things to the text, claim each one as an improvement, and
>still be no closer to accomplishing the purpose.
>
>I find this a bug. :)

-Yes, but you get /no/ points until the game ends. So yes, you could drag this on and on for nyears, but it doesn't get you anything. And the Moderator can still ignore you. Eventually, it comes down to having to trust someone who isn't totally neutral, but if the Moderator gets restricted like crazy in the points /they/ get, no one is going to Moderate. Perhaps if the exchange rate for LPs to normal points was reduced? But then we get to the problem of a game that resolves too quickly. You have to be able to make back your initial investment without too great a difficulty, or else no one will play. I recognize your bug, but unfortunately I fail to see a solution... well, other than turning this rule into a game of Legislosity.-

[[BvS]]