Baron von Skippy on 21 Nov 2003 03:45:55 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Re: [Spoon-business] Stone Swapping

>>> To Donate a stone to another player, a player must choose a stone of
>>> eirs that is on the board and another player who already has at least
>>> one stone on the board; the chosen stone becomes a stone of the chosen
>>> player.
>>
>> The player should have to be allied. Otherwise this provides further
>> incentives for an alliance (say, yours) to take on an undeclared ally
>> (say, SkArcher). That way he can move in key places, yet transfer his
>> stones into your alliance if they start to threaten your position. That
>> gives all of the benefits of being allied with almost no disadvantage.
>
>But the whole point of this is that you can give stones to your
>enemies, even if they don't want them. I suspect that in any case where
>it might be advantageous for an undeclared ally to donate a stone, it
>would be even more advantageous for said ally to use eir move to place
>a new stone instead.
>
>It also wouldn't be to the und. ally's advantage either - for the
>purposes of scoring and whatnot, e'd have one fewer stone out to get em
>points, and another fewer since e'd lose eir move for that turn.
>
>I suppose there should be a more severe penalty for doing this though,
>to prevent somebody from giving all of their stones to a neutral party
>whenever they were about to be trapped... but I can't think of any
>penalty worse than having to spend eir move on it without drawing
>connections between PGo and things likes Points and BNS, which I think
>would overcomplicate things.
>
>Perhaps the donor couldn't move in the next checking period? Or had to
>choose another stone of eirs to sacrifice in order to make this work?
>
>Actually, sacrificing stones for power gives me an idea...

-That's probably not a good thing... anyway, what if you changed it to what I thought you were going to do when I saw your subject header: Literally swap stones. It can be done with any other player, it takes up both players' turns for the checkpoint, and it involves switching who owns which stone. This allows for the possibility of a whole new level of sneakiness... although your idea could be left in place, too (although I'm with Rob on eir ideas for tweaks to the prop), and the other could be done seperately. That might be best, yeah.-

[[BvS]]