Daniel Lepage on 8 Oct 2003 02:11:40 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Proto-prop: Patents

On Tuesday, October 7, 2003, at 09:29 PM, Baron von Skippy wrote:

That's just it...gnomes aren't gnomes.  If you're
trying to bring back all the gnomes there were on the
old grid, that's, as you say, 34 different kinds of
gnomes.  You want a patent on the basic gnome because
you invented it, fine.  You want a patent on the
champagne gnome because you invented it, and it uses a
basic gnome and a glass of champagne, fine.  But if I
invent the sparkling creamy jello gnome that uses as
its ingredients a basic gnome, a champagne gnome and a
chocolate eclair, I want the patent to that.

-What if they were defined in the rules, and in the rule that defined them, a little blurb was added stating who held the patent?-

That means the rules have to be changed quite often. Glotmorf's 2GCs were well-suited to this sort of thing; if a keywording system were implemented on such documents, it'd be easy to see all gnomes together; perhaps a similar system could mark various object definitions as being known by certain entities, so you could see the list of everyone who knew the Secret of Fire, view a list of every tech known to the Guild of Gnomesmiths, etc.

Perhaps in order to regulate mad Patenting, there should be some cost associated with making a Patent Prop - say, you need to spend 10 Research points or something in order to make such a prop (<plug> and under my protoproposal, that's really easy to do: "Patent props have a prop cost of 1 bandwidth and 10 Research" </plug>).

Okay, so maybe all the gnomes can be kept in the same
rule, and the references to the patents just be
entries on the roster.  But at one point we seriously
considered a class system that was a game document
outside the rules, so that the details of a given
object weren't buried in the midst of a 100-page
ruleset.  Something separate, sortable, indexable,
etc.  I'd thought that these patents could be related
to the class system, but if we're talking about
transferring and sharing patents I guess that wouldn't
really work.  However, I still suggest the class
system be separate from (if acknowledged by) the
rules.

Just don't give Dave lots and lots of extraneous
work, that's all I'm saying.-

As compared to reinventing an in-game production and
commerce system? :)

-As I recall, we had a Ministry to help some there. As I recall, it was my ministry. So yes, as opposed to recreating said system.-

Your ministry only handled what gnomes people had; Dave still had to deal with gnomes being thrown everywhere, and with all the consequences of what you seem to be suggesting, namely a lot of patent transactions and, basically, an economy.

--
Wonko