Daniel Lepage on 29 Sep 2003 04:08:01 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Eleusis

On Sunday, September 28, 2003, at 10:43 PM, Glotmorf wrote:

On 28 Sep 2003 at 20:42, Baron von Skippy wrote:

I came across an interesting Nomic variant based on the card game
Eleusis. The general gist of the game was that one player, the GOD,
created a secret rule governing what sorts of proposals are
allowable. During each player's turn, e makes a proposal; if it is
consistent with the secret rule, it is adopted; otherwise it fails.
The objective is to be the player who figures out what the secret
rule is; at the end of the round, points are given out based on a
variety of factors, including who made the most correct proposals,
who finally ran out of points, etc.

The original game collapsed because it became too difficult to get
proposals passed; the records are in Joel's deadgames archive at
http://www.nomic.net/deadgames/eleusis/eleusis.html

Would anybody be interested in a subgame run along a similar theme?

-I could go for this. Sounds pretty cool.-

My Blind Nomic game (also in Joel's deadgames archive) had
similar problems, though people managed to eat away at quite a
few of the secret rules.

I ran it semi-Imperial, and one principle I operated under
was, "Rules that specifically reveal substantial portions of
the hidden rules would not be allowed."  Would there be non-
hidden rules, or metarules, or whatever, in Eleusis?
Otherwise, the hidden rule would HAVE to be something that
prevents revealing itself, else someone could just make a
proposal that reveals it.

There are some meta-rules and whatnot; but I don't believe they said anything about the secret rule; It's actually better to have the Immutability clause in the secret rule itself, though, because the visible rules can be altered by proposal too. Of course, and proposal to alter/reveal either has to fulfill the secret rule, so unless you're really lucky, you can't propose to reveal the secret unless you already know how to fulfill it, in which case you're better off not revealing it.

BTW, the secret rule for the game in the deadgames archive was :
{{
A proposal is legal if it does not specify the public revelation of any portion of this rule, and the text (not title) of the proposal either:    1) contains any of the words 'harf', 'frink', 'grok' or 'spam' (or some form of those words). 2) contains the name of an animal or reference to some animalistic trait.
}}

Apparently this was too complicated, though, and the players gave up trying to figure it out.

Personally, I feel it would be more in keeping with the spirit of Eleusis if the validity of a proposal depends on some function of it and the proposal preceding it, but maybe that's too complicated...

--
Wonko
"This gubblick contains many nonsklarkish English flutzpahs, but the overall pluggandisp can be glorked [sic] from context" (David Moser, quoted by Douglas Hofstadter in his "Metamagical Themas" column in the January 1981 "Scientific American")