Daniel Lepage on 22 Sep 2003 01:05:26 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Re: [Spoon-business] When was the last time wehad a CFI?

On Sunday, September 21, 2003, at 07:02 PM, Anything McGee wrote:

Whose did you take, then? And where does it say that you can take them?
Wouldn't that count as a Gamestate change as well?

I would interpret the rule as implying that the existing T-shirts are out in the open, available for the taking, as was the case at a conference I attended this weekend. If they are privately owned, which the rule doesn't state, then I apologize for taking someone's shirt and will gladly return it. I don't believe that's the case.

The rule says that there exist T-Shirts. This is entirely true - there do exist T-Shirts. Two of them, as far as I know, one owned by Glotmorf, one owned by bd. The fact that these two exist in no way suggests that any others exist; in fact, since nothing has created any other such T-Shirts, I think I can say with confidence that no others exist.

Even if by some miracle this infinite supply of T-Shirts did exist, nothing permits you to 'take' them; so doing so is either meaningless or illegal, and either way we don't need to worry about it.

Nowhere does it say that one can take them, but nowhere does it say that I can't. I would not interpret taking a shirt as a change to the gamestate, unless it in fact was privately owned -- the only way it might be a change to the gamestate is if it's added to one's notes in the Roster. And even then, things included on the Roster don't necessarily require changes to the gamestate -- for example, I have the title "Veteran of B Nomic," for which I had to do nothing except not forfeit.

If taking a shirt is not a change to the gamestate, then claiming to take a shirt is meaningless. I could also say on a public forum that I Eat all my Titles; it wouldn't do anything at all. I'd just be spouting gibberish from my word-hole. If this is the case, there's no point in arguing about this, because you haven't actually *done* anything, you've just babbled in public.

If taking a shirt *is* a change, however, then it's illegal, since Players may not change the Gamestate with permission of another rule.

--
Wonko