Daniel Lepage on 15 Sep 2003 23:35:51 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Re: [Spoon-business] Underwriting

On Monday, September 15, 2003, at 06:57 PM, Craig wrote:

Okay, so I'll buy that a central figure is good, but why can't the
central figure gain points from the activity? For example, I've been
contemplating an Eleusis-based subgame; the rules of Eleusis definitely
provide for a central authority, namely the dealer, but the dealer
still gets points, and in fact those points are necessary to give the
dealer an incentive to make a good rule.

No they aren't. Ever played Zendo? A good Master, doing it for the love of the game, will make it more enjoyable than a good rule that gets an Eleusis dealer a lot of points. I agree with you in general, on all of this, but I
think that your example is bad.

I'd never heard of Zendo before I read your email and looked it up on Google a few minutes ago, but it looks interesting... I think the role of the Master differs slightly from the role of the Eleusis Dealer, though, despite their similarities. In Zendo, there appears to be no penalty for making a bad koan (if I've read the rules correctly), whereas errors are penalized in Eleusis; because of this, I believe it's much harder to come up with a good rule in Eleusis than in Zendo (of course, I say this without having ever played Zendo, so I could be wrong). I suppose it's a bit misleading to call the Eleusis system an 'incentive', though - it's more like a bonus for doing a good job as dealer. And regardless, it would be impossible under the proposed Underwriting scheme.

--
Wonko