Daniel Lepage on 15 Sep 2003 00:50:36 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Re: [Spoon-business] [PGo] Alliance

On Sunday, September 14, 2003, at 08:31 PM, Rob Speer wrote:

On Sun, Sep 14, 2003 at 07:48:08PM -0400, Rob Speer wrote:
Also, with your interpretation, _any_ stone surrounded by _any_ other
stones dies. For example, if your stones ended up like this:

W W W
W W W
W W W

The middle one would die, because it is in a set of one stone belonging
to you and, say, Iain, surrounded by stones that are not in mutual
alliances with you and Iain.

I'm slightly wrong here - you would have to be allied with someone. In
that case, if you allied with Iain, then the middle stone would be a
dragon of you and Iain and be captured by your surrounding stones.

I still don't see how either of our interpretations would result in this... my interpretation is that a dragon is a set of stones s.t. every stone in it is owned by one of some group of allied players, and no adjacent stone is owned by a player who isn't a mutual ally of said group. The center square in the above is not a dragon, because no matter what set of allies you choose, I must be in it; and thus the surrounding squares are also owned by a member of the group (me). Now, if the situation were something like this:

G G G
G R G
G G G

and you had an ally that Glotmorf didn't, then you'd lose your piece because the surrounding pieces would not belong to a member of the set of allies.

And I'm not saying this interpretation is valid. I'm trying to show that
it makes no sense.
--
Rob Speer