Daniel Lepage on 14 Sep 2003 21:26:32 -0000

[spoon-discuss] Re: [Spoon-business] Underwriting

On Sunday, September 14, 2003, at 02:20 PM, Glotmorf wrote:

The Prez of M-Tek makes this club prop:

{{ _Funding for This Program Comes from Players Like
You_

Create a new rule:

{{ _Underwriting_

}}

Hmm. I was just going to apply for a government grant from the Admin, but I guess this works too, except for some wording problems. I'd definitely want to see rewording of "a clear statement of the activity members of the Society participate in in order to gain points" - some societies may want to pursue multiple paying activities (INH comes to mind, if anyone would put their societies there). The current wording also says nothing about such activities being society specific; there are already activities that the members of, say, M-Tek participate in in order to gain points; for example, we make proposals. I also dislike the restriction that the Moderator must a) exist and b) not gain points from the activity. If, for example, Go were to become a society-based subgame (which would be possible if societies could get this sort of grant), it wouldn't be eligible for this sort of grant because it doesn't require a moderator. The second to last paragraph refers to an Underwritten Society 'posting an announcement on the public forum'; however, there isn't any method in place at the moment for a society to post anything itself; it can only respond to posts by others. Finally, most societies would probably not want to be Underwritten, as it would force them to use proposals to change the definition of their subgames; so if the Underground were underwritten, you wouldn't be able to change the rules of the Tunnelers game except by getting the society to produce proposals about it. Likewise, INH would not be able to start new subgames except by outergame proposal. This would result in a lot of proposals that wouldn't be pertinent to many players - right now only 5 people actually have any reason to care about the Tunnelers rules; the other seven players would just have a lot of props they didn't care about cluttering their ballots.

I think it would easier to come up with a way of simply providing points for societies, and letting the societies work it out. The simplest way to do this would be to allow petitions, either to the Admin, to some special Funding Council, or perhaps simply as an Unauthored prop, to get grants from the Gremlin Fund or from the mystical forces that create points when the rules don't specify where they come from. More complicated things could be devised, but I think many of them would rely on some sort of preexisting rule-defined subgame (I think something was suggested about Societies producing things on the Grid, but that's a moot point now). In order to make this idea viable, we'd need some sort of commodity which societies could produce but single players couldn't (preferably many such commodities) so that players would have a reason to pay societies for something; or if there were some service that could perhaps be done by a single player, but would take a while and waste a lot of resources unless for some reason you wanted to do it in bulk (I'd hoped to generalize Upgrades and turn WBE into something like this, but didn't have the commitment to go through with it when I lost the society; again, a moot point now). It also might a be a good idea to put limitations on single-player societies; a lot of potential loopholes would be closed if it took two people to create and run a society. I was working on a proposal that generally cleaned up a lot of basic things in the ruleset, but then I left it in my other computer; I'll probably be able to grab it by the end of this week, and maybe even finish it. I think it might make a lot of things easier to do.

Oh, and on an unrelated note, the changes to the Mercantilist Charter didn't happen in public, Teucer.

--
Wonko