Craig on 20 Aug 2003 04:09:32 -0000

RE: [spoon-discuss] RE: [Spoon-business] Go

>>offer

>>>-It's not the edge.-
>>
>>::boggle::
>>Standard Go thinking is that good opening moves *ought* to be near the
edge.
>>I've never played 13-by-13, so I don't know any opening joseki for it, but
>>I'll bet they aren't too far from 9-by-9 or 19-by-19.
>>
>-Edge spaces are more easily surrounded, as one of their sides is the wall.
Center spaces are harder to surround - thus harder to take. This >is my
thinking. Now, I've never played Go. This is true. So I'll just make things
up as I go. At some point, I may look up strategies, but

Playing on the edge is silly. Playing near the edge extends influence toward
that side, making it more likely that that side will become your territory
at a later point. Playing near the center isn't harmful, it's just less
productive in the earlier stages of the game.

>those only mean so much when applied to this game - standard Go also only
has two players.-

Very true. I can't wait to see how the differences play out.

 -- Teucer

"They didn't find it odd the Emporer was travelling around in a cart of
fish?"
 -rlpowell

ragnarok@xxxxxxxxx
teucer@xxxxxxxxxx