Mark Karasek on 7 Aug 2003 01:03:18 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Re: [Spoon-business] r10

On Wed, 6 Aug 2003 20:49:35 -0400, Daniel Lepage <dplepage@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

From the former Rule 15:
"Proposals are processed in increasing integral order of serial number with respect to each other, but are otherwise considered to occur simultaneously, in the "instant" between the end of one nweek and the beginning of the next nweek."

Therefore, B Nomic became a nation at the same moment that the laws of all nations were repealed. Even if this hadn't been true, since p1596 created a rule rather than performing an action, I took this to mean that it was a *continuous* action; otherwise, why bother making it a rule?

This has, I believe, been discussed before; the conclusion reached was that the effects of the proposals happen 'simultaneously in order' - i.e., the gamestate changes to what it would be if they were implemented in order (that's the "processed in increasing order" bit); but the change itself is a single change that happens all at once.

Note that the rule says that they actually *are* processed in order, while they're just *considered* to have happened simultaneously. This was put in, I believe, to prevent things like Automation scripts from stepping in between proposals ("as soon as pX passes and defines something with a hole, but before pX+1 closes the hole, I do the following:").

Now that I think about it, this discussion is irrelevant. In addition to nations, the proposal also repealed laws of international bodies; since B Nomic ha(s|d) players from multiple countries, shouldn't it qualify? (hint: Yes)

It's debateable whether they qualify as laws if we're a nation; they certainly aren't laws if we're not a nation. Gaming rules and laws are two very different things.

(from dictionary.reference.com): Law - 1. A rule of conduct or procedure established by custom, agreement, or authority. Do our rules not fit this description?

--The Pusher Robot