Daniel Lepage on 18 Jul 2003 03:57:01 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Re: [Spoon-business] Points

On Thursday, July 17, 2003, at 12:18  AM, Glotmorf wrote:

On 7/17/03 at 12:07 AM Daniel Lepage wrote:

On Wednesday, July 16, 2003, at 09:39  PM, SkArcher wrote:

Movement in the dimension of points is regulated by the ruleset, and
therefore you may only move as defined in the ruleset. No rule states
that you may move in the dimension of points simply by declaring that
you do so.

'Course it does. A Space is defined as a set of directions in which it
is possible to move.

Yes, but does it say that players can move? Or just that movement is possible? It was, for example, explicitly possible for players to move on the grid since there was a specific stated procedure for a player to do so. Is there a comparable explicit procedure for players to move in the dimensions? Does it even say players occupy the dimensions?

Game precedent, if nothing else, is enough to determine that saying an action "can be performed" without specifying who can perform it means that any entity can perform it.

Examples:

A Cup of Tea may be purchased for 2d3 points.
Big Rocks may be purchased to put on the Grid.
Towels may be purchased for 10 points from the Gremlin Fund.
A Chocolate Eclair is an object that can be eaten or smeared.

Examples taken from your dimship rules:
{{
DimShips can have Guns. Adding a Gun to a DimShip costs 10 points, and counts as 10 Respect buoy. and 10 Charm ballast against the DimShip's limits.

DimShips can have Armor. Adding Armor to a DimShip costs 10 points, and counts as 5 Respect buoy., 5 Style buoy. and 10 Charm ballast against the DimShip's limits.

Damage can be repaired at the rate of one score point per point of damage fixed.

DimShip, once built, can be launched, which puts it into active use. A DimShip that has been launched can be landed, which takes it out of active use. DimShips can be landed at any time, and must be landed when adding equipment or conducting repairs. A DimShip is automatically landed when its ballast and buoyancy limits are zero. DimShips can be launched at the end of the nweek.

Ballast and Buoyancy are each limited to 100. Each can be set to as much as 100, even at the same time, for displacement in single or multiple dimensions.

A DimShip can be purchased for 100 score points.
}}

I could list more if you'd like, but I think this is enough to prove the point.

As for players occupying the dimensions, what do you mean by 'occupy'? A Space is just a collection of directions. Score is such a direction. My score is my current coordinate in that direction. That's all defined by the rules. I'm allowed to move in the score direction, so I did.

--
Wonko