Craig on 17 Jul 2003 03:23:01 -0000

RE: [spoon-discuss] Re: [Spoon-business] Political Go

>Or perhaps people would keep putting stones in other people's
>territories, even though they would keep getting captured, just to bring
>the scores down, and they could do that because their score wouldn't go
>below 0? That's true - people should gain points for capturing as well
>as lose them.

>I think when I revise the rule, the scoring will be that you get 2
>points for each position of territory you own, and when a group is
>captured, the people losing the group lose 1 point per stone, and the
>capturers gain 1 point per stone (split among them).

Normally in Go, what matters is the difference in scores, not the scores
themselves. So it doesn't matter whether you count territory + enemy pieces
captured, or territory - own pieces captured, or territory + own stones on
the table + times you've passed. (Nobody uses the last, it's just
theoretically equivalent.)

I like your way of handling it. That extends it to multiplayer quite well,
by making it both bad to be captured and good to do the capturing.

 -- Teucer

"Also, to deny god, you have to fill out a form 613-B/9 in triplicate."
 -clsn

ragnarok@xxxxxxxxx
teucer@xxxxxxxxxx