SkArcher on 17 Jul 2003 01:40:01 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Re: [Spoon-business] Points

16/07/2003 23:25:46, Daniel Lepage <dplepage@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>On Wednesday, July 16, 2003, at 08:28  AM, SkArcher wrote:
>
>> 16/07/2003 13:15:49, Daniel Lepage <dplepage@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>>> I move in the Dimensions, moving 250 steps in the Score direction
>>> (that
>>> is, away from the 0 point, not towards it). Then I move in the
>>> Dimensions again, 450 units away from 0 in the Charm direction, 200
>>> units away from 0 in the Respect Dimension, and 20 units towards 0 in
>>> the BAC Dimension.
>>>
>>> As per r154.B.2. [[Dimensions/Existing Dimensions/Charm]], I win.
>>>
>>> I cite as justification r407 [[Space]] which states:
>>> {{
>>> A Space is a part of the game state in which it is possible to move in
>>> multiple directions. In general, a player's position in each direction
>>> is called a Component.
>>> }}
>>>
>>> Later, it states
>>> {{
>>> The two Spaces that currently exist are the Dimensions, where each
>>> Dimension is a Component, and the Grid, where the X and Y values are
>>> the two Components.
>>> }}
>>>
>>> The logic backing my claim runs as follows:
>>>
>>> Charm, Respect, and BAC are all Dimensions. [[r154, Dimensions]]
>>> The Dimensions is a Space where each Dimension is a Component. [[r407,
>>> Space]]
>>> It is possible to move within a Space in the directions indicated by
>>> Components. [[r407, Space]]
>>>
>>> Thus, it is possible to move in any Dimension, including Score, Charm,
>>> Respect, and BAC, which I have now done.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Wonko
>>
>> I (unsurprisingly) Call for Inquiry on this claim, naming the
>> defendant as Wonko
>>
>> Statement: Wonko did not just score a Win
>>
>> Reasoning: It is possible to move within a Space in the directions
>> indicated by
>> Components. [[r407, Space]] - however, methods of such movement are
>> defined in the rules, therefore rule 18
>> [[Permissibility of the Unprohibited]] which states that 'With the
>> exception of Rule Changes whatever is not
>> prohibited or regulated by the Ruleset is permitted and unregulated.'
>> means that wonkos moves, which take place
>> in a defined and regulated part of the gamestate, are invalid due to
>> them being an undefined method of such
>> movement
>
>R18 in no way shape or form restricts what can be done. Rather, r18
>permits certain actions to be performed, if they are unregulated; r18
>is thus entirely irrelevant to this discussion, because I don't need it
>to permit my actions.
>
>Rather, my actions are permitted by r407, which states that it is
>possible to move in dimensions. So I did. R18 doesn't come into it.

Movement in the dimension of points is regulated by the ruleset, and therefore you may only move
as defined in the ruleset. No rule states that you may move in the dimension of points simply by
declaring that you do so. Your action is therefore not a permitted one.

SkArcher