Baron von Skippy on 15 Jul 2003 01:39:01 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Where do we go from here?

>>> Well, then, shall we use stats that start at zero and can be improved
>>> over time, which give us varying percentage chances of doing
>>> things...one of them being puzzling out effects we observe?
>>>
>>> Newbies would be at a disadvantage, though we could potentially solve
>>> that by letting them get limited-use stat boosters, which they can
>>> use while they gain experience...or, for that matter, sell...
>>>
>> -Or experienced players could train them in exchange for their stats
>> going up a little as well. It would be a huge boon for the newbies and
>> a small one for the oldies, but would take very little effort for the
>> teacher, so it's worth it overall.-
>
>You know, all of this planning is dependent on having someone who
>affirms/denies everything... that's gonna be a lot of work; so we
>couldn't just dump it on Dave; on the other hand, giving it to any
>player gives that player phenomenal power; in fact, it effectively
>means instant dictatorship.
>
>Why exactly can't this be confined to a personal world somewhere? If
>you want to give yourself DM powers, then you can, in your own little
>fantasy world. But let's not turn the entire game into Dungeons and
>Dragons, 'cause that's gonna get ridiculous.

-This is a fair point, but it's covered in what I've said so far: Can people please re-read the protoprop before pointing out problems? In the original form, you have /two/ Ministers in charge of this, so there's a little balance there, PLUS the Ministers are expected to conform to previous decisions and be able to back up their judgements in a CFI, PLUS, speaking of CFIs, the Ministers are instantly liable if they hand down the biggest punishment, PLUS if a Minister is too much of a dictator, the other players can band together, boot them, and sever them, which means they go from supreme power to no power and a bunch of people pissed at them. Add to that what I was saying a few minutes ago (which I realize you hadn't seen when you wrote this) about not even giving them supreme channeling powers, and I'd say the power of making the decisions is just barely recompense for the work you're doing. Does this make you feel better? If not, take two of these and call me in the morning.-

[[BvS]]