Glotmorf on 29 Jun 2003 03:43:01 -0000

Re: [Spoon-business] Re: [spoon-discuss] Ow.

On 6/28/03 at 11:25 PM Daniel Lepage wrote:

>On Saturday, June 28, 2003, at 11:00  PM, Glotmorf wrote:

>>> Don't you need to actually *do* something to make this prop
>>> worthwhile...? Like, create a rule or something...?
>>
>> And you call yourself a veteran.  Far as I know, a combination of the
>> Boilerplate and Standard Delimiter rules still serve to say that if
>> something is in curly brackets with nothing else saying what it is
>> it's a proposal, and if something is inside that proposal with curly
>> brackets with nothing else saying what it is it's a new rule to be
>> created.  That's how my old prose props used to work.
>>
>> In fact, that recent prop of yours that you amended to include "Create
>> a rule:" would have been fine in the first version.
>
>And you call yourself a Patriarch. The rule you're trying to mention,
>r216, Elimination of Boilerplate, allows us to propose rules without
>declaring the 'create a rule' bit by simply making the prop the rule.
>If your proposal were entitled __The Shotgun Rule__, and had the text
>as its sole text, that would work. But the rule to be created must have
>the same name as the proposal to create it, so as it is, if you claim
>that you're proposing a rule, then it's a rule entitled "Lock and Load"
>which for some reason has a delimited block entitled "The Shotgun Rule"
>in it.
>
>The exact text of r216 is:
>{{
>To "propose a rule" is defined to mean making a proposal which contains
>one Action, which is to create a Rule. The Proposal is given the same
>title as the Rule. The Proposal and the Rule need not be introduced
>separately.
>
>When proposing multiple rules, it is only necessary that the rules be
>clearly delimited. The Standard Delimiters may serve this purpose.
>}}
>
>Also, I believe you need to declare that you're proposing a rule. As in,
>
>I propose a rule:
>{{
><snip>
>}}
>
>Simply stating the prop does not technically even imply that you're
>issuing a proposal; only that you feel the need to speak some delimited
>text on a public forum.
>
>See r217 ( http://www.nomic.net/~g6//curver.php?rn=217 ) for more
>details on delimiters and their use :)

And you call yourself an authority.  You cite the rule I said works in combination with the Boilerplate rule, yet failed to use it in your counterargument.

The Standard Delimiters rule reads: "The character sequences '{{' and '}}' (without the single quotes) may be used in the text of any Action, Proposal, or Rule [[ yay recursion ]] to mark the beginning and end, respectively, of text that should be set apart, such as the text of a Proposal or Rule, or an amendment to either one. If it is not explicitly specified that these character sequences mean something else, they are considered to delimit text in that way."  The rule explicitly references the text of a Proposal or Rule; granted "such as" is more inclusive than exclusive, but for that I cite the Default Case and say that since the rule doesn't state the validity of delimited text other than proposals or rules it is only the creation of proposals and rules via delimited text that is permitted.

Since I no longer Rule, I can't create rules upon my sayso; therefore, of the two explicitly mentioned possibilities, the only possibility for delimited text in a standalone manner is a proposal.  Since there is onle one action inside the proposal, and that delimited and given a title (as per the third paragraph of the Standard Delimiters rule: "The character sequence '__' (again without the single quotes) delimits the title of a Rule or Proposal; the title begins after the first '__' and ends before the second one. The title is applied to whatever Rule or Proposal has most recently been introduced in the text of the message."), it conforms to the Boilerplate rule as being a proposal containing a single action being the creation of a rule.

Wasn't there an old CFI to this effect?

						Glotmorf

-----
The Ivory Mini-Tower: a blog study in Social Technology.
http://ix.1sound.com/ivoryminitower