Craig on 14 May 2003 02:16:01 -0000

RE: [spoon-discuss] Force vs. Source

>> > E did. Anything you write is copyrighted instantly.
>>
>>Well, he should have licenced it properly. Anyway, it was a joke on the
>>whole
>>'Source' thing. I never read the books, though.

>-It's not copyright unless you declare it to be so. Otherwise it's public
>domain, although you don't have to publish to make it copyrighted.-

A common misconception. Used to be that you had to put a copyright notice on
something for it to be copyrighted, but that's obsolete these days. All it
means to have a notice is that people can't claim not to have known the work
was copyrighted. I'm actually writing a paper for my US History course on
how copyright law has changed in the twentieth century, and have only
discovered this rule as part of that. You now have to officially announce
that you surrender your copyright if you don't want to own your words. Since
reading this, the only artistic work I've submitted to anything for
publication has had a notice that it was being surrendered to the Public
Domain.