Orc In A Spacesuit on 5 May 2003 16:36:01 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Re: [Spoon-business] Grid Recognitions

From: SkArcher <SkArcher@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
05/05/2003 16:32:31, "Orc In A Spacesuit" <orcinaspacesuit@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

From: SkArcher <SkArcher@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Finally, no one's said a word on my latest attempt to get out the Siren's
ZATR.  I'd like to think that it's because everyone believes it to be
perfectly legal, but I'd be deluding myself, as I'm sure some of you think
otherwise, especially considering some of the statements regarding
Penguindom and free will.  For those wanting to look at the message, see
http://lists.ellipsis.cx/archives/spoon-business/spoon-business-200305/msg00005.html
.

Hmmm, interesting, but I think you may have overlooked something when you
read the proto ice rules (or wrote them, in fact)

Nowhere in the Proto-Ice rule (1469/0) does it state any effects upon
players movement, only upon the movement of objects. Players are entities,
not objects, and
are defined by different rules.

SkArcher

Object, currently, has no specific definition within B Nomic, and so the
standard English meaning is used.

On a side note, players are Grid Objects. And a part of the definition of a
Grid Object is that it is an object.

no, if you read closely you will find that grid objects are defined in section A2 of rule 301/38, while the first mention of players and their location on the grid is in the entirely seperate
section B, which amongst other things states that
{If a Player attempts to move into a unit which e may not occupy, eir Move fails and e remains in
eir current location}
as, by the siren section (E2) the following is the case
{Players in a Siren's ZATR may only move to Grid squares in that Siren's ZATR or Grid squares in
that Siren's ZOE}

It doesn't matter what order the things are stated in, Players are still Grid Objects. Witness the end of 301.B.1: "Players are Passable MOs, except that no two players may ever occupy the same square." And A.2 says that Grid Objects are objects. Therefore, the players are objects.

And as a further point, rule 301/38 section E.2.2 states quite clearly
{Players in a ZATR or ZOE and are in an airspeeder disembark from that speeder as soon as able, may not board any airspeeders, and may not cause any airspeeder they are in to move.}

... darnit. My fix worked a bit too well. So I bought an Ice Cube, set it off in my location, and tried to get my Speeder to move. Except I couldn't make it move, so that part failed. Well, I can still move without my Speeder...

I move to (13,6), then to (12,5). I should then slide to (11,4), screaming that I don't want to leave the siren until I leave the Zone and come to my senses. Then, I'll pick up all carryable objects in my location, then move to (10,5).

I've updated the grid page with both the possibilities of me failing and me succeeding.

Orc in a Spacesuit