Baron von Skippy on 5 May 2003 01:06:01 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Re: [Spoon-business] Veni, Vidi, Vacancy

>>therefore
>> >>
>> >-Define "movement." I'm sure no definition out there as yet involves the
>> >expenditure of Force to lift oneself around the Grid. Therefore it's
>>legal.-
>> >
>> >[[BvS]]
>>
>>I don't have to define movement; the force rule states 'When a player Force
>>Lifts an object,
>>that object is moved from its location to the targeted square.'
>>
>>This explicitly states that the object in question is moved, and as you
>>*are* the object, you are
>>therefore moving, and under your own free will, which is explicitly
>>outlawed in the Toad rules.
>>
>>You can move other stuff about, but not yourself.
>>
>-Rule 301:
>B.2. Movement
>Once per nweek, any Player on the Grid may announce that e intends to move
>to a new (x,y) coordinate location. Unless otherwise prescribed by the
>rules, Players may only move from eir current location to any of the units
>surrounding eir current location. [[E.g. the x and y coordinates of a
>player's location may only be increased or decreased by 1 each nweek.]]

Yes, I know, but note the phrase 'Unless otherwise prescribed by the
rules'. Moving by Force is defined as 'moving' by the Force rule, and is therefore an exception
to this rule, as this rule defers to it.

-I think this is a debateable point. No one said the target wants to move, just that the mover wants it to move. Extending that, if I move myself, then I want to move myself but I don't care if I am moved - which of those takes precedence? What if I don't want to move but have to out of necessity?-

>Since that's the accepted definition of "movement on the Grid," and since
>I'm not doing that, what I'm saying is still legal.

This is the base definition of movement on the grid, whose rules are superceded by rules to which
it defers, which is, in effect, any rule which says otherwise.

-No other rule says otherwise.-

>Also, using your logic, I could escape Wonko be announcing that I want to
>move wherever e does - any time e moves, clearly I am then moving of my own >free will, and since I can't do that, I have to get left behind or perhaps >my position is undefined, since it's not clear what is contrary to my free
>will.-

No, because your Free Will is not a cause of your movement.

-In that case, I can float myself around because I'm not moving of my own free will, I'm moving with some help from the Force.-

[[BvS]]