Daniel Lepage on 22 Apr 2003 04:54:01 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] No, I haven't really forgotten...

On Monday, April 21, 2003, at 08:21  PM, Craig wrote:

-But 10 points in 5 nweeks is. That's not going to get you anywhere. And
not
nearly everyone has the necessary knowledge to solve those equations you
mentioned. (Give me a few hours, I might find the latent skill within
myself, or I might find a new well of annoyance...)-

Well, the five don't have to happen all at once. You could arrange with four
other players to each make a guess, and then decide randomly amongst
yourselves who gets to post the answer. So instead, every nweek, you get a one in five chance of 10 points. Thus, on average, it is still 2 points an nweek, but sometimes you luck out. And, if you lose, you can always backstab everyone by posting the answer anyway, but that might burn a few britches...

If four other people do 80% of the guessing, you really have a 1/5 chance of +26 points, and a 4/5 chance of -4 points. On average, it's the same, I suppose. That's why you go backstabbing :)

--
Wonko