Daniel Lepage on 20 Apr 2003 02:27:01 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Re: [Spoon-business] Proposals: Cleaning House

On Saturday, April 19, 2003, at 05:01  PM, Orc In A Spacesuit wrote:

[[ Remove Mischeviousness ]]
I like the concept.

But it serves no purpose in the game.

[[ Remove Engravings ]]
This is something I happen to like, a lot. I think the reason it goes unused, is the general lack of Athames. Due in part to their failure to rain upon the grid, which is due in part to Dave missing that one of about 100 things he has to do each nweek.

Even if we had Athames, this is, at the moment, a purely aesthetic thing. The meager benefits of engraving Elbereth somewhere are easily destroyed by pretty much any action in the square.

[[ Remove Football ]]
Like I said in response to an earlier post, I'd like to set this up on a seperate grid, with the players acting as managers. Whether we'll have brackets with two players per game, or if everyone will throw their teams together in one big mess, remains to be seen.

I'd have to say that I'm against multiple grids at the moment. They're a lot of work to keep track of, and they're going to screw up this multi-Nomic thing we've been discussing.

I do have a few ideas for an alternative to Football; but I'm waiting to see if it gets repealed first, because I definitely don't want multiple massive sets of exceptions to the rules hanging around.

[[ Remove Death (note - it's not used now, and the way we're going, it'll have to be completely rewritten if we want it to be incorporated anyway) ]]
Which I just happened to have done. Except without having to repeal the rule. *sigh* Things can still work, but this stuff certainly isn't making it easier.

Past experience has taught me that it's never a good idea to leave something you want changed alone just because another player claims e'll take care of it.

[[ Remove Shears, Swabs ]]
Another thing that I like, and I think may have more use in future.

Once again, they serve no purpose, and never have; they're on the list of objects which are too hard to get and too useless to be worth keeping.

Of course, any of this stuff could be brought back in a better form at a later date, but I'd rather have it be an evolution of concepts rather than destroying something and coming back to the ruins afterwards.

Personally, I'd rather keep removing things and replacing them with other things. Constants are boring.

--
Wonko