Daniel Lepage on 19 Apr 2003 02:59:02 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Fwd: RE: [Thermo] Proposals File

On Friday, April 18, 2003, at 10:44  PM, Baron von Skippy wrote:

-"So fix it" is answer one. Answer two is that, in my mind, an army of faeries has always been a couple thousand (they're really small), elves number about two, three hundred, ogres number about twenty, and the Borg are one. Well, one mind. Hundreds of bodies.-

And three hundred elves can fit in a space that, if I'm in it, can't even fit two elves?

To "fix it", as you say, could be done in a couple of ways, none of which are entirely agreeable: 1) Repeal armies. In general, I dislike repealing things until we're certain nobody uses them anymore. 2) Move armies to a separate grid. This would require a new Ministry, which would probably land on Dave, who wouldn't want to deal with it. So this would get vetoed.

-I meant fix the other thing. Let players occupy the same space. It's been proposed a couple of times. Third time's the charm! Seriously, it is ridiculous. A player needing all the space in an Elbonian Airways to themselves? Not right.-

But that doesn't change the fact that the Grid is scaled differently. We have things like Balls of Wax, Big Sticks, Speeders, etc. all of which are based on the player-sized squares. Even if I can stand next to you, that doesn't mean the squares are bigger. And there's not a lot of space at an Elbonian Airway - it's just a slingshot in the mud (and maybe a Pig or two).

Perhaps it's just my mental image, but I always pictured the grid as being not all that much larger than it appears on Orc's renderings of it, maybe a hundred feet to the side of a square, at most; to fit armies into it requires rescaling by a factor of around a hundred, maybe more if you really want to fit a thousand faeries in. Many things would cease to make sense at all - can I really run 3000 miles in a day (That's 128 mph)? And how can I hit you with a Big Stick when you're so far away?

Armies, as they are, just don't fit in.

--
Wonko