Daniel Lepage on 9 Apr 2003 21:49:01 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Step one on the road to InterNomic II

On Wednesday, April 9, 2003, at 05:25  PM, Daniel Lepage wrote:

On Tuesday, April 8, 2003, at 11:13  PM, Baron von Skippy wrote:

Because it takes no effort for them to stop us?

You seem to think that we can force other Nomics to do what we want; you seem even to think that we can invade them at any time if we choose. But we can't. They don't need us nor our rules; if we bother them, they can choose to ignore us. And there's nothing we can do about it. For us to declare war on a nomic would be like a Magic player casting a Lightning Bolt at a player in a nearby game of chess - the chess player doesn't care about the bolt, she just ignores it, and the Bolter can't do a thing about it. Likewise, if we declare that our invading armies trample another Nomic's rules and beat them into the ground, they can simply ignore us, as we are not a part of their gamestate unless they allow us to be.

If internomic trading is to occur, it must be something beneficial to all Nomics involved; if they don't like it, they don't have to play.

-The Nomic Wiki has the records of two inter-nomic wars already. Neither needed Ambassadors. Agora simply trampled two Nomics which pissed it off. I mean, really. A war like you describe is like two children shooting imaginary guns at each other. "Bang!" "You missed!" I'm talking about an all-out grapple to the death.-

The first of these 'wars' happened because Rishonomic allowed references to Agora in its rules; we could not take similar action against another Nomic

Whoops... Why don't I finish writing before I send...

The first of these 'wars' happened because Rishonomic allowed references to Agora in its rules; we could not take similar action against another Nomic unless they allowed us to affect their game.

The second war was never conclusively proven to be the work of Agora; but it is suspected that the proposals success was partially due to Agoran agents... And yes, we could player-bomb another nomic, if we had more players, and propose to end eir games if we wanted to... but what good would it do? If somebody did that to us, I'd advocate simply starting a new game, call it B Prime Nomic, with an initial ruleset identical to B Nomic's final ruleset. What would the attack accomplish, then? It'd force us to add an apostrophe after the B on the title page. W00t.

--
Wonko