Glotmorf on 2 Apr 2003 20:42:01 -0000

[spoon-discuss] Re: [Spoon-business] That's a lotta bulldozers

On 4/2/03 at 2:21 PM Orc In A Spacesuit wrote:

>[[On spoon-business this time.]]
>[[A little bug I found in mining:  you can strip mine a location
>that's being strip mined already.  As such,]]
>IiSstrip Mine (9,5), paaaying thequaalitycost.
>IiSstrip Mine (9,5), paaaying thequaalitycost.
>IiSstrip Mine (9,5), paaaying thequaalitycost.
>IiSstrip Mine (9,5), paaaying thequaalitycost.
>IiSstrip Mine (9,5), paaaying thequaalitycost.
>[[Question is, is this a bug or a feature?  We could say that more
>crews in the same place work faster.  Also note that it will pay out
>for starting with gravel each time, but the payout for finishing
>will vary with each set of mining will depend on the substance that
>particular crew finds.  I say it's at least partially a bug, with
>all this starting bonus.]]

I understand that strip mining has been performed in West Virginia by way of dynamiting an entire mountain at a time, the combing through the rubble.  This isn't materially different than that.  They're levelling a mountain; you're making a molehill.

Couple problems, though...First, you can't strip-mine if you hit water, because that qualifies as a brook.  Second, once you get too deep you can no longer trace a movement path between the mining location and a service mall; differences in elevation greater than a certain amount aren't navigable.  That's why I originally put that requirement in; you can still strip-mine to China if you want to, but you'll have to strip-mine around the hole too.

						Glotmorf

-----
The Ivory Mini-Tower: a cyber-anthropologist's blog
http://ix.1sound.com/ivoryminitower