Glotmorf on 2 Apr 2003 20:10:01 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Prop 1418

On 4/2/03 at 1:24 PM Daniel Lepage wrote:

>On Tuesday, April 1, 2003, at 10:20  PM, Glotmorf wrote:
>

>> Yes, but if there's multiple power plants, which one
>> melts down?  Which oen gets destroyed is, as proposed,
>> random; which one gets deactivated could be random
>> too.
>
>Mostly I just think we should be trying to avoid adding something else
>that needs to be tracked; it's simpler if each improvement has two
>states: There and Not There, instead of three - Active, Inactive, and
>Not There.
>
>BTW, as proposed, a random *improvement* would be destroyed, not a
>power plant. Destroying a random power plant would a useless die roll,
>as the destruction of one plant would invariably lead to overworking
>all other powerplants. Thus, a well-aimed strike that took out three
>central power plants would wreak havoc on someone - all eir power
>plants would overload and die if this happened.

A power plant *is* an improvement; therefore, anything that destroys a randomly selected improvement might well destroy a power plant.  As the proposal is written right now, a player with a bunch of things and one power plant would lose everything if the power plant was the first to go, since he'd continue to have unpowered improvements until they were all randomly selected and destroyed, one by one.

>A better way to do it might be to have each plant provide power over a
>given radius; even if there's only one other building in said radius,
>the plant still doesn't provide any power to further buildings. Then,
>if too many buildings are put in a plant's radius, it overloads and
>explodes; this deactivates all buildings in its radius that aren't also
>in other plants' radii.
>
>Perhaps also little routing stations could be built, which had a radius
>around them, around which buildings were considered to be in the radius
>of whatever plant powered the station...

Like the Protoss pylons in Starcraft? :)  That'll still give buildings the states of Active, Inactive and Gone.  And those will still need to be tracked per improvement, since a factory might be in two power plants' radii.

						Glotmorf
-----
The Ivory Mini-Tower: a cyber-anthropologist's blog
http://ix.1sound.com/ivoryminitower