Glotmorf on 1 Apr 2003 06:42:01 -0000

Re: [Spoon-business] Re: [spoon-discuss] Prop 1422

On 4/1/03 at 12:27 AM Orc In A Spacesuit wrote:

>>From: "Glotmorf" <glotmorf@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>>>
>>>[[
>>>"Ice Cubes and Ice Spheres may be activated by any object in the same
>>>location in them if they are not carried or possessed, or by any object
>>>possessing or carrying them."

>>>So somebody says the activate an Ice Cube, and if it's legal for them to
>>>do so, its done.  Alternatively, a rule could dictate that a Ice Cube be
>>>Activated by a Boomcage.  Or a Gnome be squeezed by the Yeti.]]
>>
>>Yes, but the paragraph you're quoting says they're activated by any
>object
>>in the same location or by any object possessing them.  Which means
>they're
>>just as likely to go off in my pocket as in the same square as Barney.
>>Said activation could be an action (I may want it to go off) or an event
>>(it will go off whether I want it to or not).
>>
>>If it's only an action, that's great, it means it won't go off
>immediately
>>after I buy it.
>>
>>If it's only an event, that's okay, though I might at least want to throw
>>it first.  Or arrange for it to be "delivered".
>>
>>If it's an action *and* an event, I'd like the wording clarified so that
>it
>>*won't* go off immediately after I buy it.
>
>If you have it, only you can activate it.
>If it's on the ground right at your feet, you could activate it, or a
>particularly fiesty gremlin could activate it if the rules suddenly
>dictated
>e did (like if someone made an offer that Butthead accepted, that
>consisted
>of something like "activate all Ice Cubes at your location").

Okay...so it requires an explicit action, either by a will-endowed entity or an event-driven object?  Is there some way of saying that?  I mean, a land mine is activated by an object imposing weight on it, but that's not an explicit action on the part of the object.  What about...

"An object possessing or carrying an Ice Cube or Ice Sphere, or an object in the same grid location as a not-possessed, not-carried Ice Cube or Ice Sphere, can activate it as an action."

This makes it seem less like the damn thing goes off and more like someone or some thing explicitly makes it go off.

						Glotmorf

-----
The Ivory Mini-Tower: a cyber-anthropologist's blog
http://ix.1sound.com/ivoryminitower