Glotmorf on 29 Mar 2003 06:03:01 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Re: [Spoon-business] Prop: Leveling The Playing Field(s)

On 3/28/03 at 11:38 PM Orc In A Spacesuit wrote:

>>From: "David E. Smith" <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>>{{ __Leveling The Playing Field(s)__
>>
>>Reset the elevation of all Grid squares to zero.
>>
>>Remove Iain from the Roster.
>>
>>}}
>>
>>[[ The former is a more literal leveling, obviously. The latter is, well,
>>because Iain hasn't actually been around in most of a year, and IMO
>>Glotmorf has had an unfair advantage ever since. ]]
>
>Back when I was proposing the changes to the Societies rule, we eventually
>got down to only one real sticking point:  whether or not societies could
>force actions upon their members.  Such as voting.
>There were two reasons for this:  First, Glotmorf said that he and Iain
>had
>some sort of deal such that Glotmorf would preserve Iain's place in the
>game.  And the way to do that was for Glotmorf, through M-Tek, to force
>him
>to vote.  I'm okay with Iain staying; if he wants to stay, I say let him.
>That's where the Lurking prop came from; I don't recall if the version
>that
>passed included making Iain Lurking, but that was the reason behind it.
>Let
>someone who's going away for an extended period and being able to come
>back
>later.  The second reason to allow societies to force action was that
>there
>might be something that players might want to do automatically for the
>society, such as dues; that's where Automation Scripts came from.  Just
>set
>it to pay your society every so often, and boom, its done.
>
>With that said, does anyone have any other reason to allow societies to
>force actions, as it the current interpertation allows them to (unless
>they
>at some later date say "no, I didn't do that", and undo doing that forced
>action and leave the society at a past point in time, hence Screwing With
>Time), and going with the "If they don't do this, then the society boots
>them out, and maybe takes some other actions" way of doing things?

Expediency of action.  There could arise situations that a single person can't take advantage of, but three people could.  Said situations might require immediacy of action, before (a) the situation goes away or (b) someone else takes advantage of it.  The leader of a society might declare that the members of eir society act in such a way to exploit the situation, rechoning said members might thank em later for eir quick thinking and acting in their interests.

For example...Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't a majority of the Council of Elders in M-Tek at the moment?

						Glotmorf

-----
The Ivory Mini-Tower: a cyber-anthropologist's blog
http://ix.1sound.com/ivoryminitower