Glotmorf on 28 Mar 2003 05:09:01 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Pretty. What do we blow up first?

On 3/27/03 at 11:53 PM Baron von Skippy wrote:

>>Real war I disapprove of.  Nomic war, though?  Now that's interesting.
>>am intrigued by your ideas and wish to subscribe to your newsletter.
>Tell
>>me more...
>>

>>-0-The Voice-0-
>>
>-Well, since you asked so nicely, let me give the basic outline of this.
>The
>trick, of course, is getting the other Nomic to comply. If they don't, I'm
>not sure what we do, so that'll have to be worked out later.
>    First, we make a rule which says that if any B Nomic rules are stored
>on
>any website, they must be amended appropriately every time the rules are
>amended. Next, we make the entire ruleset of another Nomic into a rule,
>stating in the rule that the text of the rule can be found at the URL of
>that Nomic's ruleset. Then we amend that rule (their ruleset) any way we
>want.
>    In fact, this is completely legal, due to that oh-so-important default
>clause: any action which is not prohibited or regulated is allowed and
>unregulated. Only one Nomic that I have found has protection: Nomicron
>makes
>the creation of rules an exception to that. So we are allowed to take
>their
>ruleset apart or reshape it because /nothing says we can't./ Good, eh?
>    And we're already mostly protected - the Council of Elders can undo
>any
>nasty changes, while at the same time stopping them from getting their own
>Council.
>    "A suffusion of yellow" indeed...-

Did someone fix the Council of Elders when I wasn't looking?

Aside from that, why should another Nomic comply with being manipulated by us?  Their own reality is defined by their own ruleset; all they would need to do is fail to recognize us as part of their reality.  At that point, the only way we have any control over them is in the reality we maintain in our minds, which they're under no obligation to acknowledge.

It would probably be easier to make some reference to B Nomic in some proposal in their game, structuring it to look like a typo..."Rules in this game will b nomic based," or something like that. (Yeah, I know, reminiscent of "All your base are ours.")

Perhaps we should redefine the Ambassadorship as being a black bag job...

						Glotmorf

-----
The Ivory Mini-Tower: a cyber-anthropologist's blog
http://ix.1sound.com/ivoryminitower