Glotmorf on 28 Mar 2003 03:50:01 -0000

[spoon-discuss] On the Uber-Prop

On 3/27/03 at 8:19 PM Daniel Lepage wrote:

>On the Uber-Prop
>
>I've been thinking about standardizing and generalizing much of the
>current system, and it seems to me that the best way to do that would
>be to create a new class of Object, call them New-Style Objects or
>NSOs, which have certain properties that eventually, all objects will
>have. The idea is that changes could be made in how NSOs behave to
>generalize things; while this was happening, other objects could be
>ported from Old-Style Objects (OSOs) to NSOs. Once the transition is
>complete, the Old-Style rules could be deleted, and NSOs could stop
>being called New-Style Objects, and just be called Objects.
>
>This would make the transition fairly easy, and wouldn't require a
>single massive overhaul prop.
>
>For that matter, we could create a second Grid using the guidelines put
>forth in the Uber Prop, and move things from Grid 1 to Grid 2; then
>scrap Grid 1.

So...the Uber-Prop would cease to be an all-remodeling thing and become a sort of wish-list for how the entire game can be restructured, piece by piece if necessary?  That I like.  I didn't think it would be possible to get enough people to agree on a single proposal that restructured the entire damn game...and I didn't want to see the results if it could be done.

>Just for the record, I got the above idea from Python, where a new,
>easier to manipulate class of object is being introduced; the idea is
>that eventually, all objects will be derived from this class instead of
>the current base class, but right now the older class is still hanging
>around for compatibility purposes.

Are there any concerns regarding multiple inheritances?  Say we have multiple grids, and some grids allow objects of certain types, and we want objects that function on multiple grids, which might mean inheriting from two different types.  Is there a way to cleanly track that?

						Glotmorf

-----
The Ivory Mini-Tower: a cyber-anthropologist's blog
http://ix.1sound.com/ivoryminitower