Baron von Skippy on 26 Mar 2003 04:09:01 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Future of the Grid

I think that abilities and attributes inherent to players shouldn't be wiped at the Apocalypse; this would include things like Force level, race, stats, etc. Thus, a player would be able to improve their own personal skills in an RPG-like fashion regardless of how often the grid blew up. The victory condition, however, should be such that while it might help me a bit to be able to pick up things from a distance and blow up big rocks, it would be impossible for me to win the game without rebuilding the parts that get destroyed every wipe. Sort of like the NPCs in WarCraft III, for those of you who've played that - they're tough and nasty, and very useful to have around, but they don't do you any good unless you've got a lot of troops to back them up.
-So when the grid goes boom, instead of being a no one with nothing, you're instead a general without an army, so to speak, who, once given an army, can take it and do great things? But only if you've been working at it?-

I'm thinking that perhaps every player with fewer than 4 owned lands ought to be able to claim any unclaimed 2x2 block of the Grid for free, and immediately put a little 2x2 fortress on it, also for free. That would generally happen after each reset (so one's base location would change every reset), but it would also allow new players to jump straight into the game.
-Mmm... fortresses... that would be nice, all right. Especially if we begin getting alliances going. Say, four back-to-back fortresses in a 4x4 block, surrounded by a four-corner empire. That's power, that is.-

From said fortress, a player would be able to build armies, buy surrounding lands, enlarge the fortress, build other improvements, and conquer the lands of other players. The victory condition might be to, say, take over 95% of the Grid.
-That is 380 squares, and you can't even own 13 of them. I don't think 95% is feasible. How about you get it so that no one besides you and your allies, for an instant, has any holdings other than their fortresses? So you beat them back far enough and poof, you win.-

Anyone have any comments?
-Lots. See above.-

--
Wonko