Baron von Skippy on 26 Mar 2003 03:48:01 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Re: [Spoon-business] Orcish Alcohol Tolerance

Yes, but consider something like my recent mass-mining. After all that work, to simply lose all my RUs just because somebody forgot to fix Tequila when we added Charm Wins would just, well, suck. Sorry, but my reaction is that Yes it does, so work to prevent others from winning.
-Name me two ways to do that that are cost-effective.-

Then also, that takes away all incentive to spend points on things. It costs a fair amount of resources to purchase and equip a speeder; if you're just going to lose it in a few nweeks anyway, why bother? Better to hoard said resources and be the one causing the reset. Not if spending points on things is a step to preventing others from winning.
-You're more agressive than anyone else has tried to be. You can't prevent people from getting points except by voting against everything. I've been in a game where props were all being shot down for roughly that reason. You know what happened to it? It sucked. Until we all decided to let things through once in a while. Trying to step on everyone else's toes is just not worth it, especially because no one has EVER won by slowly amassing points. If I can scam up 600 points, I can probably scam up 1000, so keeping me from getting to 400 isn't worth your time.-

This suggests also that long term progress will be impossible - how can we create a diverse, complicated world when everything is destroyed every few nweeks? I envision a grid covered with interesting things - buildings, mines, factories, guns, trenches, villages, cities - inhabited by players, NPCs, speeders, speeder variants, hundreds of possible objects (hopefully all stored in a nifty little properties database, so that we can track all of them without lots of messiness), and diverse abilities for everyone and anything.
Nice, but that's only one vision.
-One I happen to agree with and am working towards. You don't have to like it. That's why we vote on props. But your lack of support for it does not make it bad or worthless. A suggestion: Learn how to sugarcoat your statements. "I don't think I agree with that idea," or "I'm not sure that fits with what I'm envisioning, I'm thinking more along the lines of blah" would have been so much more diplomatic.-

That will never happen if every village and speeder is obliterated on an nmonthly basis. Then work to prevent such obliterations if you have a stake in preventing them. The world is a dangerous place, or I would like it to be.
-But it shouldn't be. May I make an analogy? Try not to extend it, or it gets ugly. Picture Europe between the years of 1914 and 1950. "Ruined" is the word that springs to my mind. Now picture the USA in that time. "Rich" springs to mind. You know why? Because everything they had kept getting shot up, blown up, taken, retaken, etc., and everything we had got sold to them on loan with interest. You envision a European Grid. I envision an American Grid. Now, that doesn't make it not dangerous. If I blow up your stuff, it's plenty dangerous for you...-

It comes down to competing visions of what the world should be. I would like to see entropy have vicious effects and am slowly putting together a proposal to bring that about. I have purposely failed to participate in the grid game because I am waiting for it to matter, so that it is worth the extra time it takes me to track everything. I'm all in favor of complexity in the grid if it serves an over-arching purpose, but complexity for its own sake is anathema to me.
-Then you joined the wrong game, pal. The ruleset is a compilation of complexities tacked together.-

I am also in favor of having the grid be a fragile thing that it behooves all the players to protect, even while working toward goals of their own.
-And how do we protect it if you blow it up all the time? Why should we even play if you want to destroy everything on a regular basis? Answer: We shouldn't. I have better things to do than get to joyously update the MoG and Econ pages every month to a long string of zeroes.-

        Bridgeweaver

[[BvS]]